How can we describe the excitement two weeks before we start the biggest road trip of our lives? It’s paralyzing as we deal with sleepless nights and days that seem to drag on and on.
It’s a terrible thing to wish away the days, just to realise how fast they’re really disappearing. But seriously, I hate waiting and the anticipation of this trip is making the wait almost as unbearable as the wait for my wedding day and the birth of our children.
We have a budget and a few possible routes planned out, but I have a feeling that this trip is going to be full of curve balls.
Before we get down to the road trip bucket list, let’s give you the details of our trip.
We fly return with Virgin from Dublin via London direct to San Francisco from 19 September to 18 December. We booked a 25ft Class C motorhome with El Monte RV to pick up in San Francisco and must return it there 6 weeks later. Nothing else is booked or confirmed after that. We only have hotels booked for our arrival and departure nights in San Francisco.
This is our soon to be tickable bucket list. A wish list of things we hope to do on our USA road trip. They are realistic. Finally do-able. Almost no longer only a dream.
Bucket List – Road Trip USA
- RV across America.
- Watch an American Football game somewhere. Anywhere. Or a Cubs baseball game in Chicago.
- Linedance in a real country & western cowboy bar (maybe The Cowboys Dance Hall in San Antonio?)
- See a Rodeo and watch a real cowboy riding a bull.
- Take a selfie on Route 66. At the start in Chicago and finish on Santa Monica Pier.
- Eat a Texan steak in Texas in a Texan steakhouse.
- Visit a working ranch.
- Say “Houston, we have lift off” in Houston at the space station.
- Swim in a Great Lake.
- See Old Faithful in action at Yellowstone.
- Cruise down the Mississipi river.
- Sing “Country Roads, Take Me Home” while road tripping through West Virginia.
- Find out what they are and try; corndogs, clam chowder, sloppy joes, key lime pie, cobb salad, salt water taffy.
- Have real S’mores around a campfire.
- See the Fall Colors as we travel across the north.
- Feel the mist of Niagara Falls on our cheeks.
- Drive Big Sur along Highway 1 on the Californian coast from San Simeon to Monterey.
- See the fall bird migration.
- Get freaked out at Alcatraz.
- Visit as many national parks as possible!
- Help the kids get as many junior ranger badges as we can get.
- Visit a plantation in the deep South.
- Drive from Miami to Key West.
- Learn to surf in Hawaii / LA or Miami
- Hug a giant sequoia tree.
- Visit Winter and her daughter in Clearwater, Florida. Watch the movie ‘A Dolphin’s Tale’ if you don’t know who Winter is.
- High five Yogi and Boo-Boo in any Jellystone park.
- A family selfie with Micky at Disney World.
- Listen to live country music in Nashville.
We need a number 30. What should it be? What else would you do and add to the list if you were in our shoes?
We’ll keep a daily diary so make sure you follow us here and on social media to keep up.